Sunday, June 20, 2010

NYP ZhongHua WuShu Orientation Camp 2010

The long-awaited three-day two-night camp was finally over. I am really glad to hear that the year ones have enjoyed themselves. We are very lucky I would say. I want to thank all the people for their effort to make this camp possible.

I hope that this camp had infused me with sufficient experience; it must at least worth the three exam papers that I had sacrificed and my two weeks without a proper sleep.

We started off the camp with icebreaking camp. It was called "the name game". I was the last one of the "queue" so I had to say out everybody's name with their chosen adjectives. As usual, I am "noisy". There were some funny adjectives chosen, quite creative. What I realised was that there were lots of people with names starting with alphabet 'J'.

Before proceeding with the amazing race, it was time for lunch. Lunch was "great". Quite nice I would say as there was my favourite fish fillet. I just do not like the spicy part.

Each of us led a group of people for the amazing race. It took a while for my group to warm up and I am so happy to see that there was teamwork. While completing the tasks for each station, I told them to reflect and see the games from another perspective. Hope they get what I mean. It's the process that matters, not the goal. Hope they can get the underlying meaning of each game.

As there were no VCDs available, we spent time playing some games instead. Human knot! One of the group were superb. They managed to finish untangling themselves within 30 seconds without talking. Cool! There does not seems to be any advancement when all of them combine together. Too complicated.

It was then time for some training. Paddings. We used the small space near the staff center as it was raining and we were not able to use the netball court. The space at block E was taken away by bei quan dao. Think they accidently took my new box of plasters while clearing the "stage". Humph.

With the guidance of paddings, I was able to do my "wai bai" better. I managed to hit my foot with my hands all the way. I stopped halfway through the training as I aimed at the padding wrongly, causing pain in my left foot. Anyway, thanks to HerChuan, Haojun and William for holding the paddings. It's not easy and it's really tiring.

Went to have a night jog with LY and RQ. Ended up running alone because I run very slow. Did some stretching after three rounds to keep my muscles flexible. I wanted to run six rounds but my legs were too tired to take it. We spent time at the playground relaxing just like the last training camp. I stared into the starry sky while lying on the slide. I really hate the fact that the accumulated water made my shorts wet.

We then went to bathe. The most fun part was when "someone" used water to splash me I guess. First time ever. It was so cooling after the bath. I don't like the sticky and smelly me.

Spent time brainstorming for ideas for the games for the second day on the "stage" before sleeping. It kinds of makes me easier to think while lying down and stare into the ceiling. I did not sleep the whole night as the temperature of the girls' room was very cold.

I heard from Serene the next day that she was disturbed by my constant entering ans exiting the room. I felt so sorry about it. I was trying to increase my body temperature by walking around. I wanted to sleep at the "stage" where I brainstormed for ideas but someone took that place while I was in the girls' room. I literally walked in circles outside the room before going back to the cold room again.

I finally managed to start getting the sleepy feeling at around 6am. A good sign I would say. I was however woke up by a phone call. After picking up that call, I can't sleep anymore. Great. I was kind of worried whether I could survive the long day ahead or not.

The second day started with physical training. Stretching and jogging. My muscles were so stiff. Serene and I then served breafast to the people. I took the beehoon tray.

It was then followed by a relaxing game; charades. The chosen person have to act out what is written on the card for people to guess. As I answered to the nature's call, I missed quite a few fun parts. I was kind of glad to see that some of my ideas were used. Anthony was busy setting up the checkers while this game was being held.

After that, it was time for some action games; captain's ball. Sitting around that area sure is dangerous.

The next game is checkers with some special "elements" added by Anthony. Initially, it was just some rolls of tapes. Later on, it was way more cool as signs such as "马步" and "金鸡独立" were stuck onto some "lucky" squares. Creative.

While the juniors were playing the checkers, some of us were preparing for "zero point". I was the first to test the string of rubber bands. I rocks! I was totally shocked by what happened too. I actually managed to make successful jumps upon first attempts. Furthermore, it was a backward swinging rope. I stopped as I was confused by Anthony's instruction to face Serene and my shorts was kind of being loosen due to the vigorous jump. It was only till I stopped that I realised what Anthony was trying to tell me. Guess my brain is not that good enough to do multi-tasks. It was a pity that there wasn't any pictures of videos. That was a very enjoyable moment.

I then continued brainstorming of what to write in the postcards while the rest continued playing. Tried some attempts later on with a front swing but failed. Oh well. Great moments are just rare to come by.

It was then time for lunch. Same food as the previous day, great. I gave my sambal chilli to Jacky just like the previous day. I finished all my rice as the spicy level is still manageable. Furthermore, there was my favourite fish fillet.

It was movie time later on. As I do not like one of the actor of that show, I did not watch. Furthermore, I have so much things to do too. I spent time in the girls' room continue writing the postcards. That seemed to be the most quiet moment of the camp.

After a while, I got news that the block E area is booked and we were not able to use it for training. I quickly ran to SHS to check on the status of the netball court and hope that I can book it. I went to the SA office after getting no results from the portal and found out that the court can not be booked but there won't be anyone using it. What I can do next is just to pray that no one uses the court so that we can train there.

We went there after the movie screening for training and the amoeba game at the netball court. The amoeba game and dog and bone were the warm-up for the training. A rather monstrous training. My legs were so jellified after that. I was glad that I managed to maintain some form of consistency throughout the training.

We had our dinner and it was almost the same as the previous day. The only difference was the eggplants. As it was too spicy for me to eat, I ate the leftover lunch. The rice was hard and cold but at least it was still "swallowable".

It was the drama thing later on. Can see that the juniors put in a lot of effort to make the "drama night" possible. I had a very good laugh at their creativity and it is really destressting. I was glad that I got the chance to give out the "prizes" to each group. Since there were four groups, there were four prizes; "最佳搞笑奖", "最佳篇剧奖", "最佳武打奖", "最佳创意奖".

Debrief was held next as a large group of people were not able to appear on Saturday. Gave out the postcards I prepared and I was glad that I managed to finish writing in time.

It was then time for free and easy activities. Many of them went to bond at Macs. I went to do my jogging alone. Stopped after running one round as my knee could not take it anymore. I then went to find the people at Macs to chit chat.

After bathing, it was time to brainstorm for the programme for the next day. The timetable was a little messy as the debrief was brought forward. I forced myself to be awake thought I was feeling very sleepy.

After the things were done, I went to sleep in the stuffy girls' room. The fan was adjusted to a lower level which made the room a little stuffy. I woke up in the middle of the night after around an hour of sleep as I was shivering. My legs were so cold that I felt a little feverish just like the previous night. Went to the stage to lie down, hoping to gain back my body temperature before returning to the girls' room. I was shocked that I actually fell asleep.

I woke up before my alarm rang at 6am. I set off to collect the cake that I ordered. I really hoped to sleep a little more though.

I walked out of the school together with Haojun and Jiayi. Both of them were heading to Kranji for the YOG training. I kind of strained my knee as I walked but I pushed on. I was glad that I made it back on time to join in the PT. I walked rounds together with XX instead of jogging as my knee was really strained. It was time for breakfast after we did our sets of pull-ups.

Serene and I served the breakfast again. I took the beehoon tray again. I like the finger food as it was the seaweed chicken and fried wanton! Yummy! The seaweed chicken were gone so fast that I did not get to have second serving. So sad.

After most of the people had finished their breakfast, I took out the cake and start the birthday celebration. I felt a little unhappy that there were some people who did not join in. I am really happy with the support given by the juniors. I served the cake after the birthday babies cut the cake as usual.

We went back to the third floor to play the checkers. I was eliminated after the game started for a while. How great was that. I did not survive long even though girls were given three chances. I rocks.

It was time to break camp after the debrief time with the alumni and some notes-writing. I was happy that I got a few. I did not write any as I had already given out what I wanted to write to them the day before.

It was the committee meeting after the juniors had left. I didn't spoke much as I was scolding myself deep inside my heart. I just couldn't stop scolding myself. In any case, I was really glad that the juniors were bonded and had fun during the camp.

After clearing the rooms for lodging and packed the stuffs in the clubroom, Auntie Mui came to fetch me home. I really needed a car ride provided with the amount of things that I have to carry.

The camp is finally over and that was a load off my shoulders. Though I did not feel that I had learned a lot from this event, I would say that this experience does provided me with some knowledge.

I love WuShu~

No comments:

 

ss_blog_claim=596a65d50abc1e411851e15a1534b2fa ss_blog_claim=596a65d50abc1e411851e15a1534b2fa