Tuesday, May 11, 2010

SCO Mothers' Day Concert: For Mum

I was called to work last minute as there was not enough usher. It was a chaotic event I would say.

Slacked a little and chatted with colleagues that came early. It was good reaching early so that I can take my time to prepare the necessary stuffs.

Upon the opening of doors, I really wish that I can split myself into another few more ushers. The patrons gushed in and I was almost the only person guiding them. There was already a lack of ushers yet the person who was supposed to help me was slacking. As most of the patrons were elderly, I had to bring them all the way to their seats as they do not understand the seating arrangement though their seat was stated on the tickets. I was literally running about.

There were instances when I was so busy directing patrons that I merely looked at their tickets and gave directions. Out of the blue, someone said that I am "sister zhen's" grandchild. Looking up, I saw my grandmother's friend. Shocked to them there and for recognising me. The second friend of grandmother introduced me to her friend.

While guiding the patrons, I was so glad that I can use mandarin to communicate. I felt more comfortable.

One of the guest-of-honour was MP Mr Seng Han Tong. I saw a guy, grandmother's friend, kept walking around and revolve around the MP. Typical.

I got an easy posting. Guess I can't be the VIP usher or flowergirl anymore. Guess it was due to the unreasonable GM.

There was a tough patron that I met. Seeing that he is taking pictures, I went up to him to inform him of the rule set. Instead of keeping his camera, he rebutted that he was just taking pictures of his friend. What an excellent excuse. I was amazed by how I explained myself in a very nice manner and he eventually kept his camera. I really did not expect that I could do that.

The performance was alright. The movie accompanied by live orchestra was superb. It made me cried. I quickly ran to the door behind to wipe away my tears. Glad that no one saw it. Embarassing I would say.

The event ended with a fast dispersal. As everybody was rushing out right after the event, I was worried that people may fall down. Together with the hardworking ushers, we completed the routine house-checks in the quickest time and we were released.

Food were taken out from the staff office for us. BT had given us ten minutes to eat during the second half of the event. I rejected. As I was hungry, the food just came at the right moment. It was some energy boost for me to travel home.

I was glad that there were some leftovers for me to bring home so that I can share some good food.

2 comments:

志平 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
湘嬌 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 

ss_blog_claim=596a65d50abc1e411851e15a1534b2fa ss_blog_claim=596a65d50abc1e411851e15a1534b2fa