Monday, February 02, 2009

Chingay 2009

Woke up a little later than what I planned as I was too tired. I haven't gain back all my energy and I have to report to the volunteers' tentage again. As I hope to take lots of pictures since it was the last day, I quickly transfer my photos and videoes from my phone to my laptop. I then had a quick lunch, get myself changed and set off to city hall.

Reached there just in time. I sat there and stone as the EXCO was having their meeting. Waiting for instructions to be given. Nigel was late as usual. Haha. I was really sleepy. Tried to delete some photos and videoes from my phone while I was waiting. Watching some of the videoes sure brought back the nice memories of NDP.

Saw U3 having one big NTUC plastic bag full of goodies. Saw Kinder Bueno. I wonder who bought it. Maybe Shiyong was going to eat it all. HAHA. Anyway, was happy that Victor gave me one lollipop. Saved it so that I have something to eat later in the day when I need glucose. =)

After instructions were given, it's the waiting of the rest of the volunteers to arrive. Am starting to get a little hungry. Joycelyn and SockHui's group rocks. They were the only one in each of their group initially. We were joking that there were going to do solo. Haha. Was complaining my hunger to them and Joycelyn asked me to get it from Shiyong. When he open his bag, I was shocked. Haha. He is really a first-aider. So many canola bars and bicuits. I took one chocolate chips canola bar out of that many. My favourite. Yum yum. Thanks to him that my stomach don't feel so bad. =)

Everyone was starting to feel bored as the wait to start working seems to be so long. People started to go around taking a walk or buy ice cream from the nearby ice cream cart. Good business. Haha. Staying under the tentage sure is a lot warmer than taking a walk beside the Singapore river. Was a little disappointed that I missed Grandma's performance at the esplanade. Dare not ask to go over even for a while as I wasn't sure what time we will move off and furthermore, I have my responsibilities.

Everyone settled back down when Mr Raymond Huang was going to give his speech. Finally start working after his speech. My group helped out with a bigger area at area one this time round. After putting the things on the seats, we then have our mass picture taken. Don't think I can be spotted as my group was standing at the first row from the bottom. The photo was taken from the top as they want the parliment house as the background.

It was the headcount after that as we have to proceed to area four. Nigel was really funny. As he do the headcount in the middle of the way, I asked him why don't he jsut do it at the side. His reply was that before going to area four, we must at least take a look at the seat that the president was going to sit. LOL! Anyway, one police officer hurried us to do the headcount and leave the area as they wanted to start their security checks. Didn't see the dog that day though. Only saw it on the day before.

We went to have out dinner at the LTA concourse again. Went to toilet at the esplanade first as there were not enough time for us to go toilet after that. Found out something though. Anyway, ran to take a look at the choir that was performing. It's not my grandma's group. Oh well. Rushed back for dinner yet was unable to start eating as there were not enough spoons to go around. Wanted to eat first initially as my speed of eating is not that fast. But how can a leader take care of herself first? So I let the others eat first. Wasted food again. This time not because the lack of appetite but the lack of time. Was still a little hungry though. Felt really bad when people complained that I was slow. Wonder why I can't eat while I walk towards area four. Hmm.

Anyway, two cold bottles of coke were being passed around. Was a little surprised. Poured some into my empty bottle. Glad that it lasted me till the end of the event. I really need glucose.

It's headcount and briefing again after reaching the gallery. Went to toilet again while the rest did the checks for faulty chairs as the pain was getting a little stronger. The quality of the mobile toilets are so different from those of NDP. Hmm. Went back to sit and chat while waiting for the gates to open. Some magicians did some tricks for us. COOL. The first one that I tried was a poker card trick. I kept staring at his hand and did not realise his switch of card. That guy actually switched my card while I was holding firmly onto the card. Asked him to do it again but he changed topic and went on to do another trick. Haha. Saw some flaws in his card while he did his second trick to Eileen.

An older guy magician came later on. His tricks were more unbelievable. He asked me to stop his flipping of card at anywhere I want and he actually pull out the card that I was suppose to get at where I stopped. Card tricks, maybe there's a magicians' code. What comes next was really ridiculous. He held on to Eileen's hand and asked Eileen to touch me. I actually experienced static. Yes, static from him through Eileen to me. It hurts my finger for a quite some time though. Eileen didn't feel the shock though. Odd. This is really sCaRy. The rest of the magicians were saying that he was the "master" or something, and were joking that none of them must touch him. Haha. Anyway, this was the first time that I experience people doing magic tricks right in front of me. Cool.

The "master" was doing a trick for Nigel when the gates opened. Everybody quickly went to the assigned position after I "loud-hailered" the information given by the PA personnel. Went back to the second staircase as my job was to cover for Jamal. KweeFang gave me her blue balloon sculpture of a dog after I said that I want a balloon. Haha. She helped me got another blue balloon sculpture of a flower with a yellow center that I tied on my hair later on. So happy! =D Really thank her a lot as I was shy to ask for a balloon from the person. Hee. ^^"

As I was stationed with KweeFang, we were really excited as we anticipated Dewu's performance. As they didn't appear after some time, we were a little disappointed as we thought that they were not performing anymore. We went really high when they appeared. Missed some of the actions as people kept coming in. We cheered for Dewu when there was a break in the flow of people. On my count of three, we shouted "Dewu jiayou!". As Chiawei is the only person that she and I know, shouted for Chiawei too. Think our voice was not heard at the performing area as the music was very loud. What I know was that the audiences around us turned to look at us and laugh. The only actions that I can recall from the performance are the taiji quan and the sparring by Guangyao coach and Eric coach.

Went to watch the show later on. The lights were off for the fire crackers. It looked a lot nicer with the lights off. Covered my ears and the sound was still very loud. Haha. The lighting effect for the actual day's event was a lot nicer than the day before. So glad that I got to watch the show together with Eileen, Jieying and Joel. We merely highed together. Glad that I got to watch the finale too. But am a little disappointed that I didn't get to see the opera singers in action. Heard that they are superb. Hmm.

Rushed to my position for the dismissal. There was no changing in the directions that we were supposed to direct the audience as there wasn't any serious bottleneck problems. Rushed back to the tentage after the headcount. Welcomed by the warm applause of the area one volunteers.

There's another round of mass photo-taking. We took it with Mr Tan Boon Huat this time round. Guess I will not be seen in the picture again. Was at the back and and at the side where there were quite a few tall guys standing infront of me. Oh well..

Helped Kailing to give out the Toblerone chocolates to my group while they were filling up the feedback form as I have lend my pen to someone else. I got to have one normal Toblerone chocolate and one dark Toblerone chocolate besides from the Weathers' Original given to me by Kailing earlier in the day. Got the chance to taste Toblerone's dark chocolate finally! =D

After submitting the feedback forms, we get to receive our certificate of appreciation. Mine was crumbled. Furthermore, after Jonathan took mine to have a look, he somehow stepped on it or something. Haiz. =\ I would rather make a special trip down to the office to collect my certificate. Well, not just mine, others' were a little crumbled as well as we have no file to put it.

Anyway, thanks to Jonathan for letting me know what time is the last train to Jurong East and helped me to apply early leave from Syahrul. Thanks to Eileen for waiting for me finish my leaders' meeting. Eileen and I took a picture with Mr Raymond Huang before leaving. Had a nice chat with Eileen and Hongquan while we took the train home together.

Chingay was a success because of the hardwork and effort of all the people involved. The volunteers, the PA staffs, the cleaners, the audience and many more. I really want to thank U7 for the all the cooperation and hardwork. Thank you everybody! =D

This is my first chingay and the first time being a leader. There is a big room for improvement. I really thank the person to give me the chance to bE a leader; the chance for me to leArn and unleaSh the potential that I may have. It was a new experience for me. There is still something that I must work really hard on - I must eliminate my fears. I will continue to do my best to brush up my skills! =D

Cheers! ^^





No comments:

 

ss_blog_claim=596a65d50abc1e411851e15a1534b2fa ss_blog_claim=596a65d50abc1e411851e15a1534b2fa