Sunday, February 01, 2009

Chingay 2009 Preview

It was a relieve after having one paper down. Rushed home to put my bag and took some small snacks before making my way to the meeting point. I reached there early and waited for the rest of the volunteers to arrive. Was rushing crazily with my pack of jelly as I thought that I was going to be late. I really like being hands-free.

Gave out the jellies together with the pass and armband when my group members have arrived. Hope they like my small gift. =)

We then proceed to area one to help out with putting items on the chairs. Was a little blur with the instruction as I wasn't clear about it. Maybe it was me who didn't registers the information well or it was Johnathan, area four's assistant chief, who didn't give the instructions clearly. It was rather sudden to me. So bad that I got scolded by him for that. I am quite disappointed that he mistaken that I thought that this is not NDP and was more sloppy in standard. That is so not me. =.= I may not be very good but I believe my professionalism is up to standard. Anyway, I believe that I will do better as time goes. =)

Area one is really big. The stage was decorated very nicely. The chairs were in red and yellow. Nice. It's so different from area four, the last performing area, the area that U3 and U7 were in-charged of.

It's a "tradition" that it will rain before Chingay. It was the preview and there was a heavy rain before the parade commence. All of us were drenched. Luckily it wasn't that bad. We get to dry ourselves in time. We ran in time to the LTA concourse for shelter after helping out at area one. I wasn't able to run as I was wearing my new shoes. It was rather slippery. Don't think I want to have anymore new injuries.

U3 and U7 then had dinner at the LTA concourse, drying ourselves at the same time. I have to dry my "laundry" (my documents) at the same time too. Haha. Didn't eat much as I didn't have appetite. What Yuteng said made me vomit some rice. Haha.

Wanted to proceed to area four after dinner. But it was still raining. So we stayed under the shelter at the escalator area. Since we have nothing to do, we waved to the people on the floats as they were travelling from area four to area one. Self-entertainment.

After the rain stops, we went to the gallery to wipe the seats dry. My arm muscles were so strained. Still having muscle ache on my left palm. Haha. Useless me.

My job for the day basically is to cover KweeFang as she wasn't able to make it. There were some changes in instructions that made me blur. Stood at the wrong position initially till Nigel come and inform me. No wonder I was feeling so odd that I have nothing to do. The lighting effects on the performers did somehow strained the volunteers' eyes. The continuous flashing caused us to have some problems seeing the seat number on the ticket. My performance on that day wasn't up to standard. Maybe I am too used to a concert hall setting. Hmm..

Wasn't able to watch much of the performance as the audience were coming in continuously. Was shocked when I saw the wushu people. Chiawei, Shuyan, Guangyao coach, Anthony, Eric coach, and other Dewu's people. Wasn't able to concentrate for a moment. Guangyao coach and Eric coach's sparring was COOL and the taiji quan was really nice. No wonder I feel that the music was rather familiar when they were testing the system before the event.

The PA staff allowed me to take a seat when the audience flow was not that high. This was the first time that I see and hear fire crackers. COOL! Am glad that the audience were cooperative in the sense that they listened to me when I ask them to return to their seat for photography and videography as they were not allowed to do so at the steps.

Was a little moody initially as I thought someone took my whole pack of jelly. Wasn't that low-spirited after watching the dragon dance from China. They used charcoal to make a very nice glitter effect. There were two stations where there were two people each. One of the two people will throw the charcoal while the other one would use something to hit and scatter it. COOL!!! It looked so much like ground fireworks. They really used a lot of time to prepare the charcoal thing. Haha.

Missed the finale as I had to prepare for dispersal. Wanted to see the opera singers in action though. Hmm. I found my pack of jelly in the end, so happy. Haha.

It was quite an enjoyable and tiring day. After the debrief, I rushed home to rest as I need lots of energy for the next day.





No comments:

 

ss_blog_claim=596a65d50abc1e411851e15a1534b2fa ss_blog_claim=596a65d50abc1e411851e15a1534b2fa