Sunday, January 16, 2011

First Inter-Hospital Concert

I saw the advertisement for this event while I was attached at National University Hospital. I thought it would be fun to see my supervisors singing so I signed up for this event with expectations of fun experience.

It was however turned out to be just the participation of the doctors. This event was organised by the Singing Doctors Society (SDS). The chairperson of this society is Dr Timothy Lee. Another doctor with the same "Tim Lee" name that I have heard of. What a small world.

A big photograph of MM Lee and his wife int he garden was put on auction to raise funds. It was framed with some golden words written on it. I did not get a chance to get a close look because it was placed outside door three, facing the other way. Initially I thought that it was just a board that describes the event of the day. But it became really weird when the number of people that came forward to take pictures of the "board". I only knew what it was when I took a glimpse of it when the patron was not that overwhelming. The auduence was then told that the picture was donated by Dr Lee Wei Ling.

No photography, no videography, no audiography. I hate catching the last one because patron still can hide. As much as I hate it, someone in front of me did it at door five. I asked BT for help. He came up, observed for a moment, and took his chance to inform the patron about the rule when she took out a pack of biscuits to eat. It was great that she cooperated.

The songs sang were still alright. There were groups that sang artistic songs and groups that tried to make a comedy. My guess that the artistic group will win their category was right! TTSH won the over championship because they earned the most number of trophies.

There were three main judges invited for the event. One of them is from the Dim Sum Dollies, the group of people that sang "train is coming, train is coming..." She is actually the wife of the emcee for the night.

Ending of the event, I was assigned to bring a wheelchair patron down via the VIP lift. Not knowing that she was already unhappy that she was asked to shift to the side because she sat in the middle of the way, I went up to her to inform her that I am the usher that will be bringing her down and I got scolded for "rushing" her. Her mother, I assume, was better. She nicely enquired whether the wheelchair patron can meet her sister and go down together. I replied that it was not able to be done as her sister was on the stage. Seeing that they are thinking about something, I waited. After a while, I saw them moving towards door three. I quickly catched up to tell her that the lift is at door four's direction. She glared at me and scolded me for "rushing" her. Continuing her way, she went to the stage front to talk to her sister who was on the stage. It was then I realise why she wanted to go to that direction. Is it that hard to say nicely?

After some talks, she then came to me so that I can bring her down. She nagged me from the third floor to the first floor. Bleeding ears. She even said that this venue has a "stupid rule" in her very educated tone. I really hope that the lift will move faster then. She even questioned whether my job is full-time or part-time. There is totally no link to the situation at all.

Knowing that she wanted to meet her sister, I let her cut through the VIP lounge to the concourse. I don't usually let patron to do that, letting them taking the exit beside the stairs. Not even a thank you from anyone.

It was going back for debrief that I knew that the patron was not happy that she was asked to take the space at the side instead of the middle because the emergenccy fire exit route was obstructed. Great understanding of her. Sometimes, I thought this kind of patron should be dealt by some lazy people.

No comments:

 

ss_blog_claim=596a65d50abc1e411851e15a1534b2fa ss_blog_claim=596a65d50abc1e411851e15a1534b2fa