Sunday, August 23, 2009

NAFA Convocation 2009

It was supposed to be a one shift work. I only got to know that it was a two shift work till I reported for work. Got to change my plan of having lunch at Grandma's house and meeting up with Jiewei. Good part was than I was able to have lunch with my colleagues at Amoy Street, a place that I have never been to before. New knowledge and some bonding session.

It was a tiring day. Many patrons were uncooperative. Catching people taking photographs more than consumption of food and drinks. In fact, I did not catch people consuming though I saw some.

Wearing my court shoes and stood the whole day really strained my legs. I was hoping that the event will end soon. So many graduates. The lecturers were really cute. They wore their "hats" too. Some is the square-shaped one and some, the painters' type. Cool. Though it's painters' type, there is something dangling at the side just like the squared ones. Cute!

I like the pieces played by the brass ensemble. It's so nice! All the pieces before the graduates' procession, the graduates' procession, and the march in and out of the grand procession. Cool. I like the music for the march in of the grand procession the best. All the musicians were guys. I wonder where are the girls. Two graduates, one receiving his degree and one receving his diploma, were actually involved in the ensemble. What a different graduation experience for them!

The lecturer for the course in theatre did something very cute. Before presenting her students receiving their honours degree to the president of NAFA, she some sort of did some chantings to bless her students. Cool. The fun of arts in theatre studies.

Seeing the happy faces of people receiving, some thoughts came to me. This is especially the case when I see people receiving their honours degree in music. Envy.

There were a lot more graduates in the second shift than the first shift. The management seems to be a little chaotic when they realised there weren't enough seats. But it was good that they managed to get it solved fast. The procession were way smoother in the first shift. Patrons were more enthusiastic in the first shift than the second, clapping their hands along with the rhythms of the music played. Fun.

Instructions given were not very clear though. Heard that Mrs Goh was there too but there doesn't seems to be a fanfare. There was a confusion initially regarding the entrance of the guest of honour, minister for education Dr Ng Eng Heng.

Before the speeches of the president of NAFA and Dr Ng Eng Heng, the national anthem was played by the brass ensemble. There were not much people singing. The bright side of the situation was that all stood in attention. From my observation, there were a lot of Indonesians.

The best graduate that gave the valediction for the first session speaks a fluent English. His speech was funny but I didn't catch it. I was too tired to listen. He was presented with a highly regarded gift from the Embassy of Peru. It's made of solid silver. Cool. According to description, that item siginify good luck in Peru. This is really cool.

As for the best graduate that delivers the valediction speech for the second session, she was awarded with the NAFA President award. It was $3000 from the NAFA president's pocket. Nice. Quite a pity that she injured her right knee and has to limp throughout the ceremony.

It was a relief when the event finally ended. I finally get to rest my tired legs.





No comments:

 

ss_blog_claim=596a65d50abc1e411851e15a1534b2fa ss_blog_claim=596a65d50abc1e411851e15a1534b2fa