Sunday, December 28, 2014

Chingay 2014

Watching the Chingay Parade this year live was a pleasant surprise for me. I have always thought that it will be very packed at the standing audience area so I will do my best to avoid the crowd. My experience this year has proved me wrong.

This is the first year that I took a break from volunteering with Chingay. Sometimes I do not see the point in doing so anymore due to some bad management. I was at the Marina Bay area because I was visiting River AngBao with PF. I had wanted to catch a glimpse of the fireworks from afar. But as I walked nearer to the F1 pit for a better view, I realised that there wasn't much people and I actually made it all the way to the space right beside the last seating gallery. Though I missed the opening act, I watched almost the whole parade at the standing audience area. It was PF's first Chingay if I am not wrong. This was my first Chingay as a standing audience.

Ever since year 2009, I will try to experience the fire crackers because it is an annual thing and it's really hard to see it elsewhere. This year, I actually got the "best" experience; I got hit my the fire crackers. I went for the parade for both days, first day with PF and the second day with LeeYan and Nicholas. On both days, I got hit by the fire crackers. How cool is that?

On the first day, I was hit at the left ear. My first reaction was "OH NO!! is there something burning at my ear?!?!" I literally jumped and keep sweeping my ear just in case there is any burning parts stuck on to my hair or ear. On the second day, I was more calm when I got hit; it was on my left leg. Awesome good luck that I had yea?

I basically just watch and enjoy the parade on the first day and was more focused on photo-taking on the second day because I only brought my DSLR on the second day. I got an AngBao from one of the many CaiShenYe!! Yey!! :D

The main difference between Chingay and NDP is that there is really a lot of engagement between the performers and audiences for Chingay. Waving is a simple gesture but it can make people feel connected and create a high-spirited atmosphere.

With the experience that I had on the first day, I know where to walk actually. Though I didn't really get a good spot for my friends and me, I managed to bring them really near to the fireworks because I know where will the fireworks will be released. Many people left the area after the end of the parade for the standing audience but I moved closer to the seating gallery. It is not the end of Chingay as long as fireworks are not released. I was puzzled about this on the first day after the emcee bid us goodbye but decided to stay a little while more and I was right! Being a volunteer with Chingay for five years is not just "say say only" okay. Haha. It actually made me feel glad that I am actually bringing my friends some joy because I have knowledge in such things; this would include NDP as well.

For Chingay 2015, I will be back to F1 pit as a volunteer. This time, it will be a whole new experience for me. I am going to be a performer for the first time ever for Chingay! It is not an easy task as I have avoided being a performer for NDP for the past two parades due to the commitment that I have to give. Thank you Coach for the chance and understanding of the situation that I am in. My first official rehearsal will be in January and I will definitely put in my best effort to learn up the routine fast and put on the best show for my first Chingay Parade! Jiayous! =)

No comments:

 

ss_blog_claim=596a65d50abc1e411851e15a1534b2fa ss_blog_claim=596a65d50abc1e411851e15a1534b2fa